Monday, January 14, 2013

You Can Steal My Show...

I absolutely love music. My favorite radio station is KLOVE. Although I do like contemporary Christian music, some of the music KLOVE plays is not to my liking. The lyrics are good, but sometimes the music sounds too secular. I prefer more worshipful music and artists like Hillsong and Christ Tomlin. Recently, a new contemporary Christian song started playing on KLOVE called Steal My Show by TobyMac.

The first five times I heard the song I did not care for it. To me, it just seemed too secular, too much like a pop song. The other day that song came on and just as I was about to change it and pop in a CD, I stopped. I decided I was going to listen to Steal My Show all the way through, ignore the rhythm and pay attention to the lyrics. My viewpoint on the song changed.

The song is written from the musician's point of view. The first verse describes an excited crowd at a concert just waiting for the musician to perform. The following verses and chorus describe that although the crowd is excited to see TobyMac, or any musician, all the glory belongs to God. TobyMac's song is about making God number one in your show and not getting in His way.

Letting the lyrics sink in, I thought about what it means to be a musician/praise singer at my church. I really enjoy praise singing even though I don't have the voice of an angel. It doesn't matter what my voice sounds like because it is not about me. It is not about any of us who sing or play an instrument up front. It is about God. We need to be willing to step aside and allow God to take control. If God wants to stop the song service and speak, then so be it. If it's our turn to sing a special after the preaching but there is no preaching because God take over the service, then so be it.

Sometimes we get so caught up in what songs we sing at church more than we get caught up in His presence. "Aww man, they're singing THAT song again?! I don't feel like clapping my hands."We go to church to entertain the presence of our God, not entertain ourselves.

This lesson taught in TobyMac's song can also apply to our personal lives. Let God be in control of your show. Step aside and stop trying to figure out life's map. Let God lead you to where He wants you and just enjoy your walk with Him. After all, we were made for His pleasure, not our own, so He deserves to be number one in our lives. “You are worthy, O Lord our God, to receive glory and honor and power. For you created all things, and they exist because you created what you pleased.” (Rev. 4:11 NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment